[kdenlive] Best workflow for large projects

Brian Cluff kdenlive at macrosift.com
Tue Dec 2 23:18:18 UTC 2014

On 12/02/2014 03:13 PM, Pascal Fleury wrote:
> I think this is similar to wanting stabilized videos, i.e. an effect on
> the video file, not the individual clip nor the track (the latter two
> exist). Actually in your case, maybe a track effect would work ? (select
> the track by clicking on the far left part of it, then you can add
> effects to the effect stack).

I believe that's exactly what I was looking for.

I had seen mention of track effect somewhere but I never could find out
how to apply them.  I had assumed that by right clicking on the left
side of the track and there would be a menu item that contained "Add
Effect".  When I didn't find it I then assumed that it was something
that was in a older or newer version than what I had.  I've found it
now... I wonder if we could get a right click menu item, that would make
the fact that track effects exist much more obvious.

> My way of dealing with this is to take the full video into a kdenlive
> project, apply the effect to your liking, save it (as a kdenlive
> project). Then in a new project, use the saved project as a clip, and
> start cutting/trimming clips from that. It has the advantage of letting
> you go back and change the effect(s) of the base video and still have
> all the time references correct in the edited final project. That is
> more or less the way stabilized videos work, except that this last one
> is slightly better integrated into the UI (no need of a separate project).

I just recently learned that you could load a project as a clip... that
is a very cool feature that I will be making use of in the future.
I've recently learned enough new (to me) features that it might be time
to another presentation on kdenlive for my local Linux Users Group.

Thanks,
Brian Cluff