[Kdenlive-devel] Let's make KDEnlive lives again together

Jean-Nicolas Artaud jeannicolasartaud at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 19:22:23 UTC 2013

Hello KDEnlive people,

I'm new to the list, my name is Jean-Nicolas Artaud, but you may know me as
morice-net on IRC. I've already contributed on calligra, especialy stage
(even if I began with KOffice and KPresenter). I'm engineer in software
development (C++/Qt) and I contribute on my free time only, trying my best
 :-) I also have an organisation background with some events I manage in
Toulouse, France.

What makes me come to you ? Plenty of KDEnlive fans and users are sad that
their favourite open software doesn't have any evolution for a while.
Technicaly speaking the master is in a broken state. Jean-Baptiste Mardelle
has begun a big refactoring, and we can see no push on the master since the
4th of June. In two weeks, it will have long 6 months without a commit, and
the state of the master is "broken".

What I would like to do ? I can see that the community is present, both in
an user and a developer PoV. I just would like to set the master in a good
state, so that people can contribute again, and help me in fixing bugs and
adding missing features and making this software lives again. That would be
awesome. To realise this, I am wondering if you guys would be okay in the
plan I'm discribing on the next paragraph.

The commit that breaks the master is the merge from "refactoring" branch.
The previous one is
commit restart plan:
commit 28a2b7fa96cab650b3d8c0747962439f87b6ec32
Author: Jean-Baptiste Mardelle <jb at kdenlive.org>
Date:   Wed Jun 5 12:43:04 2013 +0200

    Small cleanup and fix crash when switching to SDL display

To reset the master in a good state, I guess it's a good start. By the way,
the refactoring work cannot be lost. It's something that needs info so why
not just putting it in a branch waiting the return of king Jean-Baptiste.

So what do you think of that ? Am I wrong in some points ? Do you agree
with me.

I wouldn't like KDEnlive to stop involve, so I guess we'll make this change
in something like 2 or 3 weeks. I would appreciate some returns of you to
sure that it is the good way to do !

Thanks for reading

--
Jean-Nicolas