[Kdenlive-devel] Rendering to raw YUV (with fix)

Steven Boswell II ulatekh at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 03:54:31 UTC 2013

Hello!  I followed the instructions at http://kdenlive.org/contribution-manual/how-submit-patch -- I submitted a bug report, which can be found at http://www.kdenlive.org/mantis/view.php?id=2953 , and now I'm mailing the kdenlive-devel list.

My patch allows rendering to raw YUV.  I wanted this feature because I want to clean up my video clip (e.g. brightness, contrast) in kdenlive, then export it to raw YUV for processing in mjpegtools (where I'm one of the developers), then bring it back into kdenlive for editing/FX/etc.

The problem is that the exported raw-video is marked as progressive, even though the parameters passed to MLT say that the video is not progressive!  (My input video is miniDV, which is bottom-field-first interlaced.)  I know how to fix this in mjpegtools, but I'm looking to fix the original problem.  This may be an MLT bug, in which case I'll keep digging there.  But in kdenlive, the "top" property in ProducerAvFormat (see http://www.mltframework.org/bin/view/MLT/ProducerAvformat for more info) doesn't appear to ever be set!

Does kdenlive handle interlaced video properly?  Does it keep track of the difference between top-field-first and bottom-field-first, i.e. if the interlacing type of imported clips differ from each other?  I haven't beaten the other export types to death yet, but raw YUV is pretty hard to mess up, and it's not working right, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your help with this!  I'm happy to contribute to your project, if I can get some direction from you.

Steven Boswell