[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive Funding structure - paying developers feature by feature

Till Theato root at ttill.de
Mon Dec 16 20:37:10 UTC 2013

On 12/03/2013 02:44 PM, Anna Morris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly, I am a big Kdenlive fan. I co-authored a manual
> http://www.flossmanuals.net/how-to-use-video-editing-software/ on
> the subject last year and use kdenlive for my many video projects
> (so I am not spam, lol)
>
> I am working with Open Funding http://funding.openinitiative.com/
> to assist developers to get crowd funding for Free Software. Open
> Funding works on a feature by feature basis. For example the
> core-team at gimp are funding a symmetry painting feature at the
> moment http://funding.openinitiative.com/funding/1578/
>
> I am not sure how or if Kdenlive is funded at the moment, but I
> would very much like to assist any developer(s) who has an idea for
> a new feature to earn a little money to build it. Also, if you
> don't need/want to earn money for your work, you could always
> donate the funds to the project in general.
>
> This small scale funding is a great way for users (like myself) to
> give back, which they are often eager to do, but in a way which is
> very concrete, forward thinking and achievable. Its much simpler to
> set up than a large kickstarter campaign and is more deeply routed
> in the function of the software.
>
> Please let me know what you think and if you are interested in
> getting funding this way, either as a group of core-developers or,
> if not, as an individual developer.

Hi Anna Moris,

thanks for sharing an insight into your project!

As others have also recently mentioned, the problem is that currently
none of the developers (including me) has time to do funded work.
Additionally we still have money left from our big campaign last year,
so especially small scale projects could be covered. Before this could
be done however we would need to discuss the relationship between
funded work on individual features/bugs and the rest done in the
developers' spare time.

regards,
Till