[Kdenlive-devel] Breaking news

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Thu Dec 5 22:03:40 UTC 2013

On 12/05/2013 02:16 PM, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> A plugin system does not make it easier to contribute to the code.

That indeed is a non trivial thing.

If I'm not mistaken, then most of the engine part handling effects,
transcoding, etc. in existing kdenlive is actually done using MLT as
framework. Having MLT doing the heavy lifting, and kdenlive being the
graphical frontend is an amazing add-on of an NLE system.

So, whatever direction kdenlive developers decide to take for the new
rewrite, I am personally in favor of staying close to MLT. Especially,
because MLT is focused on professional use scenarios as well as already
handles plugins internally.
Also, because it allows interoperability between NLEs (based on MLT) as
well as decentralized editing collaboration or commandline-based
re-exports of previous projects.

What is the current kdenlive developers view on this?

Regards,
Peter B.