[Kdenlive-devel] Breaking news

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Thu Dec 5 13:16:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 01:07:59PM +0000, Anna Morris wrote:
> I guess it's about aims and possibilities. It should be an aim to make
> it easier for more people to contrible to the code and to add features
> right? But is this possible? Can it be made possible?

A plugin system does not make it easier to contribute to the code.

Clear APIs and good internal modularity makes it easier to contribute to the
code. What a plugin system does on top of that, is to make it (much) easier
for people to integrate with Kdenlive _outside the scope of the project_.
So if it's a goal for people to be able to maintain e.g. an Kdenlive effect
in a separate project, independently of Kdenlive, a plugin system would help.

A plugin system presupposes clear APIs and modularity; it does not work the
other way around.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/