[Kdenlive-devel] Breaking news

Vincent PINON vincent.pinon at laposte.net
Thu Dec 5 11:28:03 UTC 2013

Hello Kdenlive fans,

I found JBM's phone number and decided to call yesterday evening.
Good surprise: I talked to him!
Topmost important, he is now fine.

Here is my understanding of the situation; he may detail himself later on...

He indeed had a forced break this summer.
After this period off, he was a bit out of motivation, one reason beeing
the refactoring appearing too huge a task.
We agree that Till's redesign is very elegant and powerfull, but there
are so many things to redo almost from scratch just to get the "old"
functionalities...
The "abrupt" switch was not the good way, we should actually plan a
smoother transition, and plan a task *sharing*.

This point matters: it proved again that a project relying on a single
developer is very fragile (I note that for years he got help for bugfix
& fine tunings, but few new functionalities).

My conclusion is that we should stop holding our breath. We wouldn't
interfere and he would actually appreciate if people take responsibilities.
The plans I see:
1) put master back in good shape, restoring v0.9.6+, and moving back
refactoring effort into its branch.
who: Jean-Noël, Laurent, Vincent (me)
when: ~2 weeks
2) apply to this master all the quality tools (coverity, cppcheck &
all), and sort out the fixable bug report from mantis.
who: Mikko, Vincent, Granjow?, EdRog?
when: ~2 month
3) communicate on website, terminate the forums move. What about pushing
integration on KDE infra? (tracker, web...)
who: volunteers for com (news, doc, tuto, forums)? +technical help from
KDE fellows
when: when new stuff available ;-)
4) integrate new features: GPU powered monitor & effects, webvfx
titler/synfig bridge, Qt5 port, whatever motivates you to code ;-)
who: JBM? Granjow? Newcomers?
when: 2014 to 2050 ;-)
5) progressively integrate new design, for example moving first the
effect stack, then the project manager, then the timeline (random
sorting, I haven't studied the topic). The mix during the transition
might be ugly, but I think it is better to keep all the functionality
all along the process?
who: Till (payd for another "summer of code")?, JBM? (Vincent?)
when: 2014 summer to 2015

(I put the names I noticed just as suggestion, of course everyone is free)

If we manage to gather a small active team, it might be good to meet
sometimes, by IRC, phone/video, and even aKademy?

Don't hesistate to comment, complete or destroy these plans!

Wish you all the best,

Vincent.