[Kdenlive-devel] Announcing Movit, a new video filter library

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Thu Nov 15 23:38:50 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 03:31:28PM -0800, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> Now that I just made a new MLT release, I will take a serious look at
> this and the other glsl contribution to MLT. I do not plan to use
> movit's filter chain (the other glsl contribution reused MLT's), and I
> plan to borrow and discard liberally, in general. IOW I do not plan to
> integrate movit as independent lib/project.

Fair enough. Fitting into MLT's filter chain was not a goal for Movit;
rather, I wanted a “clean break” to see what could be done. I'm actually
rather glad I did it, since compiling the shaders together instead of
bouncing back and forth through memory seems to give quite sizable
performance gains (less memory bandwidth, more optimizations available for
the GLSL compiler).

I do believe integrating Movit into MLT would be possible, and would have
some advantages over the GLSL/MLT code that I've seen so far, but it would
require MLT recognizing two or more Movit filters in an MLT chain and
compiling them together (anything else would probably give sub-par
performance). I also realize that this requires quite a big effort on the
MLT side, though, and I can't really see anyone stepping up to do it if you
don't want to.

In any case, if the design can give you the inspiration you need for a good
GLSL implementation in MLT, I guess that's already a success. :-)

> I will also take a closer look at adopting gtest as that looks interesting.

It was pretty much a no-brainer for me, since I already use it almost every
day at work. It's relatively hard to unit test graphics software, but it was
certainly worth it in my case.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/