[Kdenlive-devel] Announcing Movit, a new video filter library

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Thu Nov 15 19:52:12 UTC 2012

Hi Kdenlive and MLT hackers,

I started a project a while back mainly as a thought experiment, and it sort
of grew on me, and it's now at the point (basically alpha quality) where I
should see if there are any interested parties. Although the API has some
impendance mismatch with MLT, Kdenlive/MLT would certainly be the most
obvious users, which is why the announcement is happening here.

The project is called Movit, and it is a _high-quality_, _high-performance_
effect filter library: It uses the GPU for all pixel pushing, and works in
full, linear floating-point throughout, with some colorspace awareness.

I'd write a lot more, but messages should typically be kept short. :-)
If you're interested, give the code and the included (crude!) demo app a
spin; there's also a README there with somewhat longer rationale.
You can find it at

  git://git.sesse.net/movit/

Feedback appreciated :-)

/* Steinar */