[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive Kickstarter

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Jan 30 21:29:05 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Simon A. Eugster <simon.eu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/09/2012 08:27 AM, Dan Dennedy wrote:
>> 2012/1/8 Ernie Zahn<ernest.zahn at gmail.com>:
>>> Are there any folks at the top of Kdenlive that are based out of the U.S.?
>>> I'm just thinking for the sake of the account issue with Kickstarter.
>>
>> I am. But I need to look at the tax implications. I will have to
>> accept the funds as personal income or income to my company Meltytech
>> LLC. Then, I will have to pay
>> Till and whomever else. I have to get some tax help soon anyways, and
>> I can ask about this - to figure out how much of the pledges will need
>> to be set aside to pay taxes.
>>
>> I believe you may need to offer some kind of rewards on a Kickstarter
>> project. Something else for you guys to discuss.
>
> Dan, did you already get an answer on the taxes?

No, did not even start. The fact is it is income I would have to
report. The unknown is how much it will be. In fact, I might not even
get the answer because I am considering to allow my 2011 business
income to simply pass-through as personal income. Therefore, I would
not be going through an accountant that could answer this question.
Maybe it is good enough to use a guideline amount based on the
Kickstarter project goal, and I can absorb any difference (within
reason, of course). Maybe Ernie Zahn can help provide this guideline
amount or I can look around, but I think you should expect at least
20%.

--
+-DRD-+