[Kdenlive-devel] KDEnlive Bugs I encountered

Evert Vorster evorster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 18:32:05 UTC 2012

I'll stick with what I know for sure in this reply.

1. All my raw video clips are AVCHD, 1920x1080p 50fps.
   Kdenlive automatically generates proxies, and all my editing is
done on that. No trans-coding necessary.

2. Proxies are generated with ffmpeg, and if you are running kdenlive
in gdb, the current proxy will continue to generate even if kdenlive
crashes.

3. Rendering is done with mlt, and that is closely integrated with
kdenlive. To change this would just introduce a lot of new bugs.

4. Every time kdenlive has crashed on me in the middle of a project
the automatic recovery feature recovered my work up to a few minutes
ago.

The current git of kdenlive & mlt is absolutely awesome, with quite a
lot of improvements, and quite a lot more stable than the latest
released version.
If you are running the last released version of kdenlive, I highly
recommend that you try to get the latest git version installed.
You will find that most of your issues here have been addressed already.

Kind regards,
-Evert Vorster-

2012/1/20 Stefan Naumann <snaumann2912 at yahoo.de>:
> What about saving the project for example one time per 5 minutes or so. But
> then the project size is too big for it to be saved within a short period if
> time, so that the user can edit the project without trouble. Maybe, there
> should just be a little hint on the bottom if that happens. When KDEnlive
> crashes the project can then be recovered. If KDEnlive crashes while saving:
> have more than just one file. lets say 5. If the last one can't be loaded,
> the second can. I guess. Adobe Premiere has so small projects - why can't
> KDEnlive have this small projects?
>
> Running stuff as seperate process would be nice, for example the transcoding
> dialog, if KDEnlive crashes, the dialog should still be present and
> untouched and ffmpeg should render the videos further. Most of the crashes I
> encountered where due to SegFaults. (is there another way to crash a
> program?). Finding them is a bit difficult (maybe because I'm still a novice
> in programming). So, of course - if a user can recover their project easily
> it's nice, but it's even better for them not having to recover them.
>
> Another thing: why is AVCHD not supported? Or let's say badly. Editing it -
> there should be proxy clips (I like the ffmpeg way - so if you'll have more
> presets: do not remove the ffmpeg-way), and when the project is rendered -
> why should the renderer care about it being AVCHD or not? When in doubt: run
> ffmpeg over it with that high bitrates, that there can't be a loss of
> quality.
>
> Regards Stefan.
>
> ---------- Waren Sie schon auf: www.oettinger-games.net.tf . Helfen Sie mit.

Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it, poorly.