[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive Kickstarter

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 10:57:13 UTC 2012

On 9 January 2012 23:07, Till Theato <root at ttill.de> wrote:

> On 01/09/2012 08:27 AM, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> > 2012/1/8 Ernie Zahn <ernest.zahn at gmail.com>:
> >> Are there any folks at the top of Kdenlive that are based out of
> >> the U.S.? I'm just thinking for the sake of the account issue
> >> with Kickstarter.
> >
> > I am. But I need to look at the tax implications. I will have to
> > accept the funds as personal income or income to my company
> > Meltytech LLC. Then, I will have to pay Till and whomever else. I
> > have to get some tax help soon anyways, and I can ask about this -
> > to figure out how much of the pledges will need to be set aside to
> > pay taxes.
>
> Hm, didn't consider that one. We'd then have to pay taxes twice (US
> and Germany). In addition to a fee for Kickstarter + a fee for amazon
> payment service (+ some transfer fees?).
>
> Maybe it would be easier/better then to use another system. I just had
> a look a IndieGoGo mentioned by Stefan Naumann and they also accept
> accounts from other countries. We could then set up a bank account
> inside the EU. This would make it possible to give multiple (EU +
> Switzerland (Schengen Agreement?) based) people access to it.
>
> @ Ernie: Since you already have experience with Kickstarter could you
> please have a look at IndieGoGo? It seems alright to me...
> >
> > I believe you may need to offer some kind of rewards on a
> > Kickstarter project. Something else for you guys to discuss.
>
> Nearly forgot that one. What could we offer?
> Kdenlive t-shirts? A mention somewhere? Time to talk to the developers?

Few thoughts on the rewards to offer:

Fancy Kdenlive live CD
T-shirts/hoodies all good ideas, I'd love one!
Pick an outstanding bug to be fixed?
Pick a feature to be implemented (within reason of course and higher
donation)
Contributor page on the website showing all names, as already suggested
Some sort of video project made in Kdenlive with your footage, not sure how
this would work, just a thought

Can't think of any others at the moment

Cheers

Martin