[Kdenlive-devel] [Kdenlive] Kdenlive

Simon A. Eugster simon.eu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 18:28:54 UTC 2012

On 02/05/2012 02:22 PM, jb wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2012 09:52:51 you wrote:
[...]
---- 8< -----------------------------------------

>> Before doing a lot of code I wanted to know which refactoring steps are
>> planed:
>> 1) Only some basic steps to integrated unit testing or
>> 2) A complete Redesign of the program(Classes/Models and so on)?
>> Just an idea:
>> It seems to me that the roadmap in mantis is not maintained. And for me a
>> bug tracker is something
>> low level very useful for developers, but have a high level roadmap whould
>> make the dev process
>> more transparent. It dont have to be very complicated. Just a html page with
>> functions that are
>> planed (like the Roadmap of MLT (Dan)). Perhaps who is working on it and
>> present open tasks for
>> volunteers.

The reason that we don't have such a roadmap yet is the way we write on
kdenlive. We are very few developers with lots of other things going on
at the same time, some don't even manage to do one reasonnable commit in
a whole year (that's me). So our roadmap for functions is mostly driven
by the current needs (like proxies e.g.)

Our current goal is to do some refactoring to simplify the code base.
Till may be able to work on this in a few months, I hope. Then we could
also start unit testing and cool new features that would currently be
too complicated :)

Anyway, I agree on the roadmap. This would be nice. @Others, what do you
think?

> I forwarded that email on the Kdenlive-devel mailing list so that others might
> answer too. One idea I had for the refactoring was to create a meta-bug called
> "refactoring", with several children bug listing the different tasks planned
> for this refactoring, with a few words describing the task, so that developers
> could discuss how to work on it before starting changing the code.
>

>> I think thats it for the first step. If you appreciate my offer I'd love to
>> work with the kdenlive
>> team.
>
> Great, I think everyone will be glad to have you in the team!

Yes. Welcome!

Simon