[Kdenlive-devel] REVERSE MOTION

Elbground Multimedia elbground at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 15 12:41:41 UTC 2011

2011/8/31, Dan Dennedy <dan at dennedy.org>:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Elbground Multimedia
> <elbground at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've been using kdenlive for 3 years now, and the application has made
>> great progress. Still, I keep hoping in vain for the reverse motion
>> feature to be implemented. Although a layman with regard to the
>> in-depth functioning of multimedia software my common sense tells me
>> that this feature, detached from any additional speed effect, i.e. 1:1
>> with regard to speed, should be easy to develop, especially if it
>
> It already exists in MLT - contributed by Kdenlive's lead developer in
> fact! However, the problem with exposing it to the user has been its
> integration into the UI and project model since it was tied to the
> speed effect. However, I think making it a separate effect might
> eliminate that trouble. I will make an experiment and report back.
>
>> initially only would apply to the image and not to sound. All it would
>> have to do would be to reverse the order of the frames in a defined
>> clip or piece thereof. I can do this manually in the timeline, but
>> hell, what are computers for?
>> As no color or brightness or other lighting-relevant parameters are
>> affected, I would even be perfectly happy having to render such a clip
>> before further use.
>> So basically the command order would have to be:
>>
>> Chop up the clip into single frames
>> Reverse the order of the frames
>> Glue them all together again to yield a new clip
>
> Or use melt to make a virtual clip and load that into Kdenlive:
> $ melt framebuffer:video-file reverse=1 -consumer xml:video-file.mlt
>
> Then, load video-file.mlt into Kdenlive as a clip.
>
> --
> +-DRD-+

Hi Dan & other developers,

Still a layman and ignorant of anything beyond using the User
Interface, one question:
If it already is integrated in the speed effect, why can't it simply
be applied by entering a negative speed percentage (i.e. -100 for 1:1
reverse motion) in the speed effect parameters? That, to me, seems the
easiest and most conventional (i.e. similar to other applications such
as Final Cut) way to solve the issue.

Kind regards, Ingar