[Kdenlive-devel] kdenlive-HEAD very slow on timeline click in AVCHD videos

Johannes Bauer dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de
Sat Oct 29 21:02:15 UTC 2011

Am 29.10.2011 22:34, schrieb Johannes Bauer:

> You mean the half second is incredible? I tried this out today and it I
> am 100% certain. Actually I just removed the Gentoo-version of kdenlive
> (my locally built GIT version conflicts with some audio plugins
> apparently), but I'll happily reemerge the version and reproduce this.
>
> However, even if I report this, I do not know how to increase my
> credibility. Are there any performance debug outputs that I could enable
> to make you believe me?

Okay, I just did the following: reemerge the Gentoo package. Then I set
a camcorder up to record my PC monitor.

I could reproduce the fast seeking. However, upon closer looking, it
appears that it does not seek correctly (i.e. not to the desired
position). As such, this is also useless. With the video I played around
first this was not notable as the camera was statically mounted and the
object in question only changed its shape, but didn't move.

When trying this with a video with much motion, I get lots of
encoding/decoding artifacts and have to seek three to four times to get
a "correct" picture (it seems indeterministic). I can still record it if
you wish, so you don't believe I just made that up.

Seems I'm stuck with the 4 seconds then... this at least works reliably.
Do you have any pointers to transcoding into formats which give a decent
seeking-time-to-disk-space ratio?

Best regards,
Joe