[Kdenlive-devel] Branch to delete

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Fri Nov 18 19:27:30 UTC 2011

Le 18/11/2011 20:13, Till Theato a écrit :

> On 11/15/2011 10:34 PM, Simon Eugster wrote:

> Looks like there was a delay between the push and the pull part
> (including http://quickgit.kde.org)
>

>>> Are you sure the branch still exists at the remote server? I
>>> think it actually only exist in your local copy of it.
>
> I did the following:
> - - git push kde:kdenlive.git master:origin/master
>   ->  'origin/master' created on remote; does not exist locally
> - - git push kde:kdenlive.git :origin/master
>   ->  'origin/master' deleted from remote
> - - Then I checked quickgit.kde.org but 'origin/master' still existed
> - - git push kde:kdenlive.git :origin/master
>   ->  fails, tells that 'origin/master' does not exist
> - - git pull kde:kdenlive.git
>   ->  creates 'origin/master' locally
>
> =>  wtf?

I think you're mistaken about what the "origin/" prefix means.

When you clone a repo, it is added to your local repo's remote with the
nickname 'origin', and any local branch 'b' of this remote is copied
locally to "origin/b" -- but they don't exist as "origin.b" on the
remote, only as "b".

Think of "origin/b" as a way to mean "branch called "b" on remote
nicknamed "origin".

So if you find in your repo a branch called "origin/master", then on the
remote it is called "master", and if you want to push to it, you need to
"git push <remote> <local-ref>:master', *not* '...:origin/master'.

So what you did above was to create a branch called 'origin/master" on
the remote, but to pull the remote's 'master', not its 'origin/master'.

I am sure that on the remote, 'origin/master is really deleted.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.