[Kdenlive-devel] [Kdenlive-svn] [kdenlive/capture] src/v4l: Import newer FreeBSD-ready V4L2 header

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Thu Nov 10 18:37:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Dan Dennedy <dan at dennedy.org> wrote:
> 2011/11/10 Alberto Villa <avilla at freebsd.org>:
>> On Thursday 10 November 2011 16:01:07 Alberto Villa wrote:
>>> Git commit e42e00f695918688807c9fee31f6195519e49de1 by Alberto
>> Villa.
>>> Committed on 10/11/2011 at 15:57.
>>> Pushed by avilla into branch 'capture'.
>>>
>>> Import newer FreeBSD-ready V4L2 header
>>
>> Mac people: what's the situation of V4L2 on Mac?
>
> non-existent AFAIK
>
>> Do you think you might join to fix capture on your side too?
>
> I am not maintaining kdenlive on MacPorts anymore due to its
> dependencies on dbus and kde daemons. Looking for a new maintainer for
> the kdenlive macport. I am staying on as mainainer of frei0r-plugins
> and mlt ports.

I want to be candid here with everyone here. My experience has
convinced me that KDE does not provide a good cross-platform solution.
Others will disagree, but the point is that I am not convinced, and I
am not interested in putting my energy into that approach. However, I
think Qt is fantastic in that regard, and I have started a new project
based on Qt that re-uses a project name from the MLT family: Shotcut.

Currently, I have no intention to try to achieve the sophistication of
Kdenlive, and I have some other goals that Kdenlive does not share -
for example, integration with Melted playout server. More
announcements are coming shortly that will further explain its goals.
I think Kdenlive will continue to be the most progressive MLT app for
the forseeable future, but perhaps its focus should be Linux and BSDs.
Of course, someone else is free to try to supporting OS X or even
Windows.

--
+-DRD-+