[Kdenlive-devel] exposing parallelism

Till Theato root at ttill.de
Tue Jun 14 18:22:35 UTC 2011

On 02/16/2011 08:04 PM, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> Maybe the profiles could have a flag indicating their support.
> Additionally a flag regarding bitrate support (+ some presets) and one
> for 2 pass would make our profiles.xml a lot easier to maintain.
>
>> Also good suggestion about the flags.
>
> We would then for example have only one MPEG-4 profile with a spinbox
>
>> heh, yep, but that leaves room to add things like GOP size, B-frames,
>> qscale, motion estimation method, and all sorts of interesting ffmpeg
>> options.
>
> for the number of threads, a editable combobox for the bitrate and a
> checkbox for 2 pass.
>
> Of course on a larger scale there could be done much more to the
> rendering dialog ...
>
>> I think bitrate, passes, and threads will go a long, long way. I do

Done in the meantime. However I have a problem with the WebM profiles
since they use a maxrate which obviously is different for every bitrate.
I guess it cannot be dropped? Currently the low quality profiles have
maxrate = 3*bitrate while the high quality ones have maxrate =
2*bitrate. Any ideas for a general rule? It could be evaluated using
QScriptEngine.

>> not think we need to get carried away with changes here, but there are
>> 2 other big problems based on support feedback. The Destination combo
>> is way too easy to overlook. Also, does anyone ever use the Format
>> combo? Letting someone choose PAL with a non-25-fps project or NTSC
>> with a non-29.97 project is just inviting trouble - these are known
>> limitations. We need to remove it and also disable the strict PAL- or
>> NTSC-formats (DV, HDV) if the project does not match: another flag to

jbm did this recently. Thanks!