[Kdenlive-devel] Fwd: Re: Rendering dialog redesign

jb jb at kdenlive.org
Sun Jun 12 09:36:10 UTC 2011

On Saturday 11 June 2011 19:53:28 Dan Dennedy wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Simon Eugster <simon.eu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://granjow.net/uploads/kdenlive/kdenlive-rendering-dialog-v2.1-favs.p
> > ng
> > http://granjow.net/uploads/kdenlive/kdenlive-rendering-dialog-v2.1-main.
> > png

Thanks Simon for the redesign ideas. Here are some comments:

First of all, sorry but I am not really a fan of background colors (yellow,
grey and green). I find them disturbing and they don't really have a meaning.

* Presets page:

- It's not clear how to use a preset for rendering. I think the lower part
from the main Rendering tab should be visible on the Presets page too (I mean
the output file name and the "Generate script" and "Render to file" buttons).

- Our current render dialog currently contains over 50 "rendering presets". So
it's not really like the 5 presets presented in your picture. How do we manage
it if there is no hierarchical structure in the presets view. Having a list of
50 items is not great. Maybe we could have a configure dialog that allows user
to show / hide the presets, so that he can see only the ones he really uses?

* Rendering page:

- The layout is not very clear. Here is a quickly modified version that shows
something cleaner I think (and slighlt more compact):

http://kdenlive.org/images/tmp/kdenlive-rendering-dialog-v2.2-main.png

I also agree with Dan that we should only display extra parameters in the "MLT
additional params" box, see my screenshot.

Also, I guess the "star" button is here to create favourites? As Dan proposed,
I think favourites could be shown on the preset's page since they a re kind of
personal presets.

* Scripts and Queue pages:

- Ok for me, but I am not sure about the "blue box" to show the curently
selected item. As previously said, I think we should try to keep a look and
feel that is consistant with the Desktop interface.

Regards
jb