[Kdenlive-devel] Fwd: slider widget

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 08:42:16 UTC 2011

Some projects gluing work below:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger @@@@ cberger.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:10:03 +0100
Subject: Re: slider widget
To: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com>
Cc: Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>

Hi Alexandre,

On Friday 28 January 2011, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> Kdenlive team is thinking about some better widget instead of
> label+slider+spinbox combination they have. They also came up with
> this:
>
> http://kdenlive.org/images/widget_idea.png
>
> I pointed them to GIMP's mockup by Peter Sikking as well:
>
> http://mmiworks.net/test/small.png
>
> But what I think is... Could Krita's one probably be improved?

Sure, for instance, one of the improvement for 2.4 I made was to add a
"multiplier" to the widget:
http://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/100217/s/23/

So that cover the second part of Peter's proposal. But as I said in an email
to krita's mailing list:

"Both solutions have the same effect for user, but I think Peter's suggestion
is visually nicer and would solve Lukas's objection that the combobox takes
space. However, the current solution is good enough for me, meaning I am
unlikely to take the time to implement it..."

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-kimageshop&m=129440709614122&w=2

And I don't think anyone in Krita has time for this. But if kdenlive wants to
take the code and improve it, I am more than willing to point it out for them.

> haven't tried Krita 2.3 yet, but one of Kdenlive guys told me your
> widget doesn't seemt o support mouse wheel rolling.

Should be rather easy to fix, I guess.

> Besides, I quite
> like Sikking's proposal, and it's more or less what GIMP has right
> now:
>
> http://vimeo.com/16616760

Did they also implement the second part of Sikking's proposal ? Since vimeo
tends to crash my computer, I couldn't check it fully...

> Do you think it makes sense doing something like that as well and
> moving the widget to kdelibs or elsewhere like that? Right now
> Kdenlive folks don't even know where to start from.

Sure. I guess the first stop would be for them to make a copy though. The rule
for kdelibs is to have two applications using a class. The problem with having
a copy is that they tend to get out of sync... but then it is good until the
class mature.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott

And from Boudewejn Rempt: