[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive Kickstarter

Till Theato root at ttill.de
Fri Dec 23 13:47:32 UTC 2011

On 11/21/2011 03:59 PM, Simon A. Eugster wrote:
> [...]
After this and Novacut, I feel that most open source projects run

>> Why we need to refactor Kdenlive before continuing to work on its
>> features:
>
> Additionally: When I first had the idea of working full time on
> Kdenlive I thought about some neat new features (definitely no
> special effects though ;)). Such a defined goal would probably make
> a fund raising more attractive. However since I'll have very little
> time till April and since nobody did have much time in the past few
> months this probably won't work out. I am not willing to add any
> big features to the existing code. While it has served Kdenlive
> great in the past it's structures can't hold all of Kdenlive's
> features anymore. That's what we concluded in Randa.
>
>> See? ;) That's how I'd sell it.

If you think that'll convince potential donators...

>> And maybe add a little more, like: Which features would/could you
>> add afterwards, when refactoring is done? Is stability increased
>> as well?

Well, I personally probably won't be available much afterwards and
therefore won't be able to add any new features. But of course we can
mention the plans you others have.

>> What other benefits are there for the users? Does Granjow have
>> git access as well now? (Yes, he does! :D) (Now that I read it
>> again, maybe the last point is not so important to mention)
>
>> Regarding the refactoring process itself. Do you think it would
>> make sense if * we other devs would again look at the code and
>> check what could be improved in the code * someone external did a
>> code review (if we find volunteers) before you start working?

Both ideas sound good. I also plan to publish some ideas on the
general approach to refactoring Kdenlive.