[Kdenlive-devel] REVERSE MOTION

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Wed Aug 31 16:55:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Elbground Multimedia
<elbground at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been using kdenlive for 3 years now, and the application has made
> great progress. Still, I keep hoping in vain for the reverse motion
> feature to be implemented. Although a layman with regard to the
> in-depth functioning of multimedia software my common sense tells me
> that this feature, detached from any additional speed effect, i.e. 1:1
> with regard to speed, should be easy to develop, especially if it

It already exists in MLT - contributed by Kdenlive's lead developer in
fact! However, the problem with exposing it to the user has been its
integration into the UI and project model since it was tied to the
speed effect. However, I think making it a separate effect might
eliminate that trouble. I will make an experiment and report back.

> initially only would apply to the image and not to sound. All it would
> have to do would be to reverse the order of the frames in a defined
> clip or piece thereof. I can do this manually in the timeline, but
> hell, what are computers for?
> As no color or brightness or other lighting-relevant parameters are
> affected, I would even be perfectly happy having to render such a clip
> before further use.
> So basically the command order would have to be:
>
> Chop up the clip into single frames
> Reverse the order of the frames
> Glue them all together again to yield a new clip

Or use melt to make a virtual clip and load that into Kdenlive:
$ melt framebuffer:video-file reverse=1 -consumer xml:video-file.mlt

Then, load video-file.mlt into Kdenlive as a clip.

--
+-DRD-+