[Kdenlive-devel] kdenlive vs Sony Hi-8 HandyCam DCR-TRV460, with kino thrown in

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Apr 27 20:55:17 UTC 2011

Greetings;

Your recent freshmeat announcement of 8.0 triggered my curiosity again, so
I plugged in my camera, which did not seem to be properly discovered by the
kernel, a 2.6.38.4-pae kernel built by my distro, pclos.  From the msgs
log:

Apr 27 13:44:46 coyote klogd: firewire_core: skipped bus generations,
destroying all nodes
Apr 27 13:44:46 coyote klogd: firewire_core: rediscovered device fw0
Apr 27 13:44:46 coyote klogd: firewire_core: phy config: card 0, new
root=ffc1, gap_count=5
Apr 27 13:44:46 coyote klogd: firewire_core: skipped bus generations,
destroying all nodes
Apr 27 13:44:47 coyote klogd: firewire_core: rediscovered device fw0
Apr 27 13:44:47 coyote klogd: firewire_core: created device fw1: GUID
08004601044684e4, S100
Apr 27 13:44:49 coyote klogd: firewire_core: giving up on config rom for
node id ffc0

Which is repeated every time the cable is plugged into the camera.  It may
switch to /dev/fw1 at times too.

kdenlive (mine is version 7.8) supposedly gained camera controls back in
2006 according to the ChangeLog on your web pages, but despite have them
turned on, the buttons don't work, and despite trying both of the non-
screenshot choices available in the menu's, no video from the camera can be
found.

Shut kdenlive down and fire up kino-1.3.4, and it all Just Works(TM).
Flawlessly...

Then I go back and run kdenlive, and go see if it can load and edit any of
the several weddings and other movies I have made with kino over the years,
and in only one case can it even see the filenames, but it cannot open
them, and ANAICT doesn't even make the attempt.

The end result is that I have yet to see kdenlive actually play a video of
any kind.  The pclos installed version is 7.8, and the running kernel is
2.6.38.4-pae. 32 bit.

Now, its been 3 or 4 years since I made the last dvd's of a wedding, so I
need the recipe for importing the best, cleanest image from a 720x480 NTSC
camera, and then from my edit final, make that into a dvd the parents and
kids can both play.  They've been waiting patiently since last November
2010, I assume because I downloaded a copy to their vhs machine before I
came home.  But I know I can make a dvd that is many times sharper and
cleaner than that vhs can do even in the test laboratory.

Was that ever committed to a kino "do this, in this order" recipe that
makes us all look like we know what we are doing?  URL please if it exists.

Thanks for any help here.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)