[Kdenlive-devel] kdenlive and mlt versions combination

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Sat Apr 23 16:52:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 6:16 AM, sunab <sunab at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When kdenlive 0.7.8 was released the recommended mlt version was 0.5.10.
> I would like to know if it is reasonable to use a more recent mlt
> release.

It depends.

> In official Ubuntu repositories for the next release 11.04 (aka Natty
> Narwhal) the packages are kdenlive 0.7.8 and mlt 0.6.2

I think this can be a bad combination because there was some changes
in behavior regarding Mlt profile, which is now serialized into and
deserialized from XML. I have not done full analysis, but perhaps
theoretically the only major issue is when you load a project as a
clip. However, for a while we were seeing some strange behavior when
switching project profiles in Kdenlive whether through menu selection
or loading a project.

It might be that mlt v0.6.2 was included because OpenShot's latest
release is based on that.

> In the kdenlive forum  Dan said kdenlive 0.7.8 and mlt 0.7.0 is an
> unsupported combination. (some users found some difficulties playing
> transitions with this setup).

This is largely a case of the two becoming too distant and not used in
that combination by us developers. Look at all that has gone into and
change in Kdenlive since 0.7.8 was released. Then, consider that mlt
versions went from 0.5.x to 0.7.x in that time frame also indicating
major changes. Mlt 0.7.0 was only release in anticipation of Kdenlive
0.8.0.

--
+-DRD-+