[Kdenlive-devel] OpenGL monitor display

jb jb at kdenlive.org
Mon Sep 27 23:43:10 UTC 2010

On Monday 27 September 2010 19:46:13 Dan Dennedy wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM, jb <jb at kdenlive.org> wrote:

(...)

> > * OpenGL might not be available an every hardware.
>
> You will still need something SDL-based in MLT for the audio output
> unless you add even more in Kdenlive. So, you may as well keep the SDL
> option mentioned below. If however, you decide to go all of the way
> then I suggest you implement the MLT consumer directly in the app and
> not worry about making it as a MLT module.

Yes, I also thought about creating a Kdenlive consumer, but it seems a lot of
work & not sure I can manage it correctly...

> > The positive points:
> >
> > * OpenGl integrates better than SDL in Qt/KDE, which means for example
> > that if you have a dual monitor setup youcan have fullscreen video
> > display on one monitor, with the other one showing Kdenlive (I just
> > committed this a few hours ago in svn).
> > * No more flicker on pause / play.
> > * This will probably solve the multiple SDL concurency related crashes
> > (mostly experienced when starting Kdenlive or loading a project).
>
> Maybe or maybe exchange it for a different set of problems or maybe
> the existing SDL can be fixed.
>
> > As a first step, I will probably allow users to choose between SDL and
> > OpenGL in a config option.
>
> That would be nice at least for a little transition during the development.

Done. You now have a checkbox in the Settings dialog (Display tab) that allows
to switch between SDL and OpenGL, but requires to restart Kdenlive to be
applied. Please test, I know the performance is not great but still it's
really enjoyable to have a fullscreen video display in Kdenlive (just double
click on the monitor to go fullscreen).

regards
jb