[Kdenlive-devel] Jog Shuttle

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 21 01:02:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have tried the jog shuttle, and while it does detect the device, it does
not seem to do much :-) I am playing with that code, but I am no expert in
MLT and Kdenlive to begin with.

I have already modified it a bit (wrt to the SVN repository) to handle the
shuttle in such a way that it does more progressive speeds. 0.5x up to 32x.
So:
- it does not seem to wrt well with factors < 1.0x. 0.25x and 0.5x do not
seem to move the video at all. Is that a known limitation ?
- calling the stop() slot on the monitor seems to work only if it is playing
forward. When it's in rewind mode, that signal does not do anything. A
wanted feature ?
- Is there a maximum forward() / rewind() speed ? If not, I think it should
be a configuration parameter for the jog shuttle.
- a minor niggle, but why does rewind() take a negative value ? It seems to
me this is a double negation to say "rewind(-0.5)" if next to it we have
"forward(0.5)".

Once I have these answers, I will be able to produce a patch for this
change. I own a ShuttlePRO v2, does anyone own another model so we can
verify that the behaviors are the same ?

I also plan to work a bit on the buttons, with a better setup and handling
both more buttons (the SPv2 has 15...) and a few more actions that the ones
that are currently available. Also, kdenlive cannot detect the jog shuttle
if it is plugged once it's running, even if the user had configured it
previously. This change will be a bit more involved, I'll keep it for later
:-)

--paf