[Kdenlive-devel] problems with latest svn/git

Mikko Rapeli mikko.rapeli at iki.fi
Sun Jun 20 18:44:31 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:34:58AM -0700, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Mikko Rapeli <mikko.rapeli at iki.fi> wrote:
> > I'm trying to use latest svn/git on Debian unstable and I've noticed a few
>
> And svn/git heads of ffmpeg and mlt?

mlt from git, ffmpeg was from debian-multimedia.org. I can try ffmpeg from
git too. Maybe I had some build problems so I went back to the packaged one
which on dmo seems to be a git snapshot from June 3rd.

> > problems. I'm not able to pinpoint when exactly this happens, but here's
> > some feed back anyway:
> >
> >  * fine tuning clips on timeline and playing moved following clips tens of
> >   seconds forward on one video track, corrupting the timeline if project is
> >   saved -- workaround is to restart kdenlive with backup project file
> >
> >  * playing/previewing project from the start possibly only once,
> >   after second try Project Monitor is stuck, no more previews -- workaround
> >   is to not play from the beginning but move a few frames forward before
> >   playback
> >
> >  * some clips continue to play on preview after end points, not always possible
> >   to move or delete clips from timeline without restarting kdenlive, and
> >   then some timeline corruption has often occurred
>
> The above are some very strange problems. While I have not seen them,
> I am not saying they do not exist because I am not heavily using
> kdenlive myself, but they do appear they can be the result of a bad
> build or installation. Did you fully clean the sources before your
> latest build? Do you have more than one installation of mlt such that
> it is building against one and running against another?

I have seen this kind of things, well, always. On two different machines
lately. Worst is the timeline corruption. Especially if timeline in the project
is long and not easily checked after each restart.

> >  * File rendering profiles for h264 have bad audio quality even if video
> >   quality is high, lots of audible compression artifacts
>
> See aac encoder in FFmpeg. It has been worse that faac, which has
> reputation for not being great. It continues to improve.
>
> >  * h264 two pass rendering often stalls at 99%, output file is trash
>
> This should be fixed now in MLT git, which I am releasing today.

Ok, good to hear. Can't wait to git pull it :)

-Mikko