[Kdenlive-devel] Self packaged video files

John T. Mertz thatonefilmguy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 12:52:55 UTC 2010

Are project files not already using relative file paths? They should
(in my opinion - I can't test actual functionality right now since I
have not reinstalled kdenlive yet since upgrading to ubuntu 10.04).

With relative links, smart editors who store media files in their
project directory should be able to package and move their project
with relative ease without breaking it. If you are making a tutorial
project, it should be a given that your project files should all be in
one place.

What would be more useful, if it is lacking, would be a few different
features which could make up this one. If kdenlive already has any of
these, I apologize as I don't have it in front of me to test.

1. Relative file links. This is probably the simplest and most
important step. This will keep most projects intact when they are
moved from one location to another. You could store both the relative
and full file paths as a more robust option. If one path can't be
found, check the other.

2. A 'relink' functionality like every other editing app has, whereby
if a user moves a file or project and it cannot locate files on open,
it provides a dialogue window which allows the user to locate and
select the missing file(s) frome their hard drive. It should try to
validate the new file based on file length, format, etc to make sure
it is in fact the same file.

3. A 'transcode' feature like Avid which allows a user to transcode
files in their project from one format to another. (I.e. From a
non-open format to an open format)

4. An 'archive' feature which would package a user's files into a
single project directory and then zip everything up.

That is just my two cents. Obviously it is something you could do as a
script like you suggested, (and probably easier that way) but I think
it would be more beneficial in the long run to create this as
incremental features which would have value to professional editors,
not just as a single adhoc feature which imo most people probably will
not have a need for.

Thanks,

JTM

On 6/13/10, Simon A. Eugster <simon.eu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04.06.2010 20:35, Ryan Peters wrote:

>>> I see.
>>> So, the way I understand it now, the tool should be able to
>>> * Make all paths relative
>>> * Copy all files which are not within the project root's subtree into
>>> the project subtree OR
>>> * Copy all relevant files (i.e. no .png previews etc.) into a
>>> completely new, clean directory
>>> * Perhaps even instantly zip all files to make sharing easier
>>> * Do some other totally awesome stuff I can't even think of
>>> ?
>>>
>> I was just typing an email outlining what I was thinking this could do
>> when I got this; how dare you steal my ideas :P. Nah I'm kidding. Yes,
>> this what I was thinking this could be like. It could be a killer
>> feature of Kdenlive (I don't know of any other video editor with this
>> feature, at least as far as Linux-based FOSS editors).
>
> Ok, cool :) Yes, this indeed sounds interesting.
> Looking forward to it :)
>
> Simon

Sent from my mobile device