[Kdenlive-devel] Self packaged video files

Ryan Peters sloshy45 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 4 18:35:43 UTC 2010

On 06/04/2010 01:11 PM, Simon Eugster wrote:
> 2010/6/4 Dan Dennedy<dan at dennedy.org>:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Simon Eugster<simon.eu at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> So, is it just about absolute and relative paths in the kdenlive project file?
>>>
>>> Or not?
>>>
>> Not. You are ignoring the use cases explained. Simply having relative
>> paths would not provide an easily relocatable bundle because assets
>> are not necessarily in an exclusive filesystem sub-tree. People do not
>> always organize their assets into a single folder ahead of time; it
>> just does not happen consistently enough and therefore it's
>> impractical to expect it.
>>
> I see.
> So, the way I understand it now, the tool should be able to
> * Make all paths relative
> * Copy all files which are not within the project root's subtree into
> the project subtree OR
> * Copy all relevant files (i.e. no .png previews etc.) into a
> completely new, clean directory
> * Perhaps even instantly zip all files to make sharing easier
> * Do some other totally awesome stuff I can't even think of
> ?
>
> Simon

I was just typing an email outlining what I was thinking this could do
when I got this; how dare you steal my ideas :P. Nah I'm kidding. Yes,
this what I was thinking this could be like. It could be a killer
feature of Kdenlive (I don't know of any other video editor with this
feature, at least as far as Linux-based FOSS editors).
> Are either of you at least script-level coders? This is something for
> which anyone can make a simple, little utility. It could even be
> integrated into Dolphin and Nautilus to avoid the need for a UI. You
> just need to know about XML manipulation and file operations. Maybe
> once it is solid, we can then add it to the Kdenlive install and
> provide a menu item in Kdenlive to execute it as well. Also, if
> someone is looking for a little exercise into Qt and C++ in order to
> start contributing more to Kdenlive, this would be great to write
> standalone, again to be integrated with file managers and then Kdenlive.
I've written some scripts before, and I guess I could write something
like this. I'm a little inexperienced, but I could write this feature by
the end of the summer at very very most.

     - Ryan Peters