[Kdenlive-devel] Chroma Key effect

TRINGALINVENT at libero.it TRINGALINVENT at libero.it
Mon Feb 15 21:59:56 UTC 2010

Hello everyone, I use very often Kdenlive, and I think it's a complete solution for video editing. Anyway there's something I really miss: a chroma key effect. Also a simple one, just for basic compositions.
Actually I use this little hack:
first of all I take the video and export it into a PNG sequence. Then I use imagemagick to make a color (00FF00 means pure green) transparent with this shell script:

mkdir ready
ls *.png > tmp.txt
exec < ./tmp.txt
while read line
do
convert -fuzz 5% -transparent "#00FF00" "$line" "ready/$line"
done

then I create a Kdenlive project with a "presentation clip" using the images of the folder "ready", and I mix it with a background video using the transition "composite".
It works quite good, especially because you can set the possible color variation with "-fuzz" option (5% is often good).
The only problem is that it's not very easy: a graphical interface integrated with Kdenlive would be better.

So I hope you can someway integrate this (or a similar) procedure to get Kdenlive able to apply Chroma Key effect.
If I can help, just tell me.