[Kdenlive-devel] Crop effect does not work on .kdenlive clips

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Aug 30 18:23:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Simon A. Eugster <simon.eu at gmail.com> wrote:
> As the Canon EOS 550D is recording with 1088 px height.

Note to self: avoid purchasing a camera that does this!

> When using 1080p as project profile, black borders are created on the
> left/right of the video (scaled down to 1080). So one option is to add a
> Crop effect to every single clip in the timeline and cutting off 8 px from
> the bottom (or the top).

I wonder if it makes sense at all to change the pixel aspect ratio? I
think that is a little more convenient than crop on each clip.

> The other possibility would be to work with a 1088p project profile and,
> when done, import this .kdenlive project in a new project (add it as clip)
> with a 1080p profile, adding the crop effect only once to the .kdenlive clip.

I am not sure that is best. What about footage that is not from the
EOS 550D - it will be cropped. And you have to make the custom project
profile, remember to use it, and remember this procedure (easy for you
and I but maybe not for someone editing a few times a year).

> At least in theory. In practise, the crop effect does not do anything
> applied to a .kdenlive file. Why? And could this be fixed for the next release?

I can not tell you why right now, but I will take a look into. The way
crop is integrated is special. It is probably something simple.
However, I think we might want to think about another remedy. I am not
sure what right now. It would be interesting to see what people are
doing on other editors and platforms.

--
+-DRD-+