[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive user manual

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Aug 25 18:04:33 UTC 2010

Forgive me for breaking the thread, but I was not subscribed at the relevant
time.  I'd like to take up the gauntlet thrown down by Simon Eugster :-)

KDE UserBase - I think it's possible that you haven't been following events,
so I'll tell you something about that changes that have happened recently.

Earlier this summer Ingo Malchow agreed to sysadmin UserBase and the Mediawiki
code was split off from Techbase.  This made it possible for several changes,
using extensions that were incompatible with the old code base.

Subpages are now enabled on all namespaces.  I understand that this has been
one of your requirements.  If you would like to ask questions about this, you
can find Ingo (and myself for less technical questions) on #kde-www.

The other big change that happened this summer was that we installed the
Translate extension.  This is much more powerful than the old language
handling system previously used.  We are still in the throes of moving all
existing translations across, but the system is proving a great success.  It
enables on-line page translation, and export by gettext for off-line
translation.  Just before Akademy Parley became the first application to have
its manual written in UserBase, then passed to the i10n team for translation
to DocBook.

We have created a set of help pages for contributors, linked from
http://userbase.kde.org/Tasks_and_Tools.  We actively monitor contributions
and edit and improve the help pages regularly based on feedback.

For some applications the information we have is still sketchy, but it takes
time for people to become sufficiently aware.  However, here are a few current
statistics:

No. of Pages - 1,943
Accompanying images - 1,723
Total page views - 6,974,416
Registered users - 2,625
Recent contributors (3 months) - 128
Translators - 58

Since Akademy there has been a steady increase in the number of people adding
content, beginning to translate, and volunteering to help with coding and
theming.  In addition, we are in the late stages of testing the chihuahua
theme, bringing a modern look in keeping with the new kde.org site.

I hope this is enough to catch your interest.  Questions are very welcome,
here or on IRC.  I have temporarily subscribed to this list so that I can
answer questions.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group