[Kdenlive-devel] Donations

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Wed Aug 25 17:52:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Simon Eugster <simon.eu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> http://kdenlive.org/forum/donate
> One cannot donate to kdenlive right now, right?
>
> I assume other people might want to donate as well. But could we make
> good use of the money?

As someone who used to accept them for Kino, I suggest that you first
come up with intended uses - the more specific the better. Even
proudly display them alongside the donate button so people appreciate
the clear direction and perhaps even more motivated. Here are some
ideas:

- travel and hotel costs for a developer to attend and optionally
present at an event (there are so many)
- special equipment which we might want to provide support for within
Kdenlive: e.g. Blackmagic Design
- technical books related to video, editing, compositing, etc.
- a charity

> If not, we might mention somewhere on the web page that, at the
> moment, we survive without donations :)

I received a fair amount of donations for Kino, but not anywhere near
enough to be interesting (i.e. provide a living). So, I shut it down
because I did not really need the money, and I felt people should
donate to more worthy causes. In hindsight, if I had established a
specific goal such as above, I likely would have achieved that goal,
which would have been interesting and beneficial.