[Kdenlive-devel] Title Widget / Monitor scene speed

Till Theato root at ttill.de
Sat Aug 21 14:30:06 UTC 2010

On 08/21/2010 11:29 AM, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Simon Eugster <simon.eu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Regarding the title widget, I (as already stated before) vote for a
>> rewrite anyways. Perhaps we can get rid of performance problems as
>> well then.
>
> First of all, what is "monitor scene?"

I use to call the monitor this way when editing geometries on it. Like
when using Pan & Zoom and resizing the rectangle on the monitor.
Probably not the best term for this. Any better idea?

> Regarding a titler rewrite, I have a couple of suggestions. The window
> needs to be more scalable than it is now - it is bigger than my screen
> on my laptop. Also, might it be possible to make it as an overlay on
> the clip monitor? Then, a tab sheet can contain the tools and other
> widgets? Then, eventually, a variant of this tool can be extended as a
> way to also use shapes/eye-dropper/wand for defining filter masks and
> drawing into the alpha channel.

Sounds like a good idea for a new titler.

> BTW, in thinking about masks (better term than "region"), I am
> thinking about a way to modify MLT to allow one to place special
> filters "Set mask" and "Apply mask" onto the filter stack. That way
> one could designate one set of filters to apply with a mask, another
> set with another mask, and others with no mask. The mask defined in
> "Set mask" would be used with all filters below it and above "Apply
> mask." And "Apply mask" clears the mask for filters below it until
> another "Set mask." When the "Set mask" filter is selected, it could
> expose the "mask monitor overlay widget" mentioned above.

Also a very great and useful idea. Something like cheap node based
effect editing ;)

Starting in January 2011 I have the opportunity to write a research
paper (correct term?) for school. I have been thinking about writing a
MLT filter for masking using bezier curves (like masking using a
polygon) & and a Kdenlive GUI for it. Combined with your idea this would
be very useful.

> Just some thoughts.
>
>> I guess what you mean is that e.g. moving objects has a delay of around 0.2 s?

For me the delay is much longer 0.2 s. Maybe around 1s.