[Kdenlive-devel] Where are the default project profiles?

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Wed Aug 4 20:49:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Simon A. Eugster <simon.eu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04.08.2010 22:20, Till Theato wrote:
>>
>> On 08/04/2010 09:38 PM, Simon A. Eugster wrote:
>>> I would like to add 1080/50i there. See:
>>> http://kdenlive.org/forum/choosing-video-profile-which-choose
>>> But where are they stored? Couldn't find anything.
>>
>> Don't expect Kdenlive to reveal all its secrets ;)
>> Actually they aren't in Kdenlive at all.
>
> I thought so; git grep usually reveals such things :)
>
>> Have a look at your MLT source directory: profiles/
>> or on the system something similar to /usr/share/mlt/profiles/
>> However there is no need to add 1080/50i. HD 1080i 25fps (or
>> /usr/share/mlt/profiles/atsc_1080_50i) is the right one. "25fps" is not
>> meant to be 25i and therefore 12.5p. Sounds a bit misleading though.
>
> Is there something like an official naming?
> I mean, there are 25 full frames, but 50 interlaced frames. And isn't the
> frame rate actually 50 fps? (A half frame every 50th second?) Because
> otherwise it would not make sense to store them interlaced.

No, it is 50 fields per second, but the 'f' in fps means frames, and
there is 25 frame per second. I used to use Hz for the vertical
refresh rate, which is probably most correct, but I chose to dumb it
down and keep it simple for people who are not so familiar with
interlace. Those who are knowledgable should be able to understand
from both the 'fps' and the other fields that are shown when selecting
profiles.

--
+-DRD-+