[Kdenlive-devel] Start maximized by default

John T. Mertz thatonefilmguy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 18:23:00 UTC 2010

Sorry, it will start 'maximized', not 'full'

I think the opposite, that it is quite annoying that a video editing
app, which requires as much screen estate as possible, does not start
maximized (on first start). Or at least large enough to be usable at
startup.  There are a lot of apps that start maximized if it fits the
application. Kdenlive is not a simple audio or video player
application that only requires a small amount of space, or any other
similar app that requires a very limited amount of screen space to be
usable.

IMO there should at least be a set start size for the application that
gives the different widgets ample room to be viewed (unless the screen
size is smaller than the optimal defaults) it doesn't appear that this
is the case, since afaik kdenlive just calls show() to display the
main window but doesn't set the size.

On 4/1/10, Dan Dennedy <dan at dennedy.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 11:05 AM, John T. Mertz <thatonefilmguy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Is there a reason kdenlive does not start maximized by default?
>
> because it may be considered rude. How many applications you know
> start maximized? The size is sticky between sessions as it should be.
> good enough and as it should be IMO
>
>> I saw the notes about showMaximized() not working 100% correctly in
>> all window managers in X11, but if it works for most, it seems better
>> to default to full screen than not.
>>
>> Currently if I delete my settings file then open kdenlive with default
>> settings, after going through the wizard kdenlive opens at
>> approximately 25% of my full screen resolution. And I don't have a
>> huge screen size either.
>>
>> Using showMaximized instead opens it full screen.
>
> full or maximized?

Sent from my mobile device