[Kdenlive-devel] dv clips loading duration

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Sep 28 22:41:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Felix Hammer <fhammer at freenet.de> wrote:
> Hi Dan
>
> Sorry for disturbing you with PM.
> I have one small question.
> I'am using kdenlive builder wizard for compiling current ffmpeg, mlt and
> kdenlive.
> Jb told me that the "Loading clips" comment in current svn statusbar of
> kdenlive is for creating an MLT producer.
>
> I have around 120 dv-pal files with around 20 GB. Kdenlive takes around 1
> minute for the "Loading clips (120 ...0)" step. During this the project tree
> is greyed out and not accessible.
>
> Is this duration correctly or maybe it is about debug compilation in the
> kdenlive builder wizard?
>
> thx for your patience.

I believe that time is about what to expect in Kdenlive and not due to
a debug build. MLT producers need to do some basic validation on its
file input and get some required metadata. The validation is necessary
for both functional and usability reasons. That alone is fairly heavy.
I have a MLT customer that make 24 hours playlists containing up to
500 entries, and we have to up to 120 seconds for it to load (this is
while the system has some load from also playing a current playlist).
Then, Kdenlive has the overhead of generating thumbnails or looking up
cached thumbnails, generating its internal objects, and updating the
UI. Do an experiment to determine how much Kdenlive adds to the MLT
load time. At the command line, run:

$ time melt some.kdenlive -consumer null terminate_on_pause=1

How  does the reported 'real' time compare to what you experience in
kdenlive (e.g. using wrist watch) on loading the project?

--
+-DRD-+