[Kdenlive-devel] Editing AVCHD h264/AC3 files in kdenlive

Philippe Landau lists at user-land.org
Wed May 6 21:25:58 UTC 2009

Ivan Schreter wrote:
> Slavko Glamočanin wrote:
>> For HD(V) recording, you have some great general tips on the HV20
>> forum - http://www.hv20.com/.
Thank you.

>> 50i is the interlaced version of PF25 (which is progressive) and
>> interlacing is NOT something you want or need.
> Well, I wouldn't say so. It depends on what you are targeting. If you
> want for instance to play the video on a TV, then you might be better
> off having 50i than 25p or 24p. I've experimented with my Panasonic
> AVCHD camcorder and I have to say that actually 50i videos look much
> smoother on TV screen, especially when panning (this is also why I don't
> like current cinema technology - 24p is simply not smooth enough for my
> eyes when panning). The only problem with interlaced material is that
> it's not completely supported through the whole tool chain. Especially
> rescaling of interlaced video makes problems.
>
> In contrast, if you want to target PC only, 25p is better (though you
> can still deinterlace 50i).
>
> Of course, the best would be 50p, but that's probably far in the future :-)
The Canon HF10 is quite slow.
Still pictures get blurry when the subject moves.
There is a relatively inexpensive bridge camera
with very high speed now (Casio Ex-F1 1200fps, HD video still only 60i)
http://www.exilim.de/euro/exilimhighspeed/exf1/specifications/
Lets us hope :-)

> BTW, regarding $SUBJ: I hope that in about two weeks I will find again
> some time to look at ffmpeg support for AVCHD seeking, so that others
> can profit from editing AVCHD in kdenlive directly (I actually have it
> working on my machine already, but it's not that easy to get the patches
> to ffmpeg, as it touches too many components and is not yet inline with
> what ffmpeg people want).
Great, Ivan.
Please let us know when we can help.

Kind regards     Philippe