[Kdenlive-devel] How does the xml files in share/apps/kdenlive/effects/ work?

Mathias Friman mathias.friman at knorca.se
Thu Mar 12 07:50:41 UTC 2009

Hi all!

I've been experimenting a bit with the XML files in share/apps/kdenlive/effects to
get my frei0r plugins to behave a little less annoying. Since I use saturat0r and
contrast0r a lot, i would like for them to have a default value that at least
approximates the clips' original looks. A.k.a. sensible defaults.

As of now, when applying contrast0r, the clip turns completely gray. In the case
of saturat0r, the clip turns colorless (black&white). The default values for these
effects are 0 for both of the effects, but I would like them to be

100 for saturat0r and
500 for contrast0r

which is what looks like the original clip without any xml file present.

With an xml file like the one below. the clip looks about the same as the original
with a setting around 13, and the effect max is at around 500 on the 1000 scale

<!DOCTYPE kpartgui>
<effect tag="frei0r.saturat0r" id="frei0r.saturat0r">
        <name>Saturat0r</name>
        <description>Saturation</description>
        <author>Unknown</author>
        <parameter type="constant" name="Saturation" max="1000" min="0" default="100" factor="100">
                <name>Saturation</name>
        </parameter>
</effect>

I just want to set the default value for the effects and leave everything else
unchanged. Mucking about with the "factor" setting isn't exactly my idea of
a good time. ;) Removing the factor setting altogether makes the effect go
crazy.

Can anyone give me any pointers on this one I'd be very pleased.

Another rather strange side-effect with having an xml file is that the effect
appears twice in the effects list. Can I fix this somehow?

Kindest regards,
Mathias