[Kdenlive-devel] move to git ? [OT]

Clifford Wolf clifford at clifford.at
Sat Mar 7 23:08:24 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 09:02:11AM +0000, Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 March 2009 07:34, Clifford Wolf wrote:
> > btw: I'm using git a lot for projects that actually are in svn or another
> > scm. in this cases I have a local git repository syncing from the projects
> > central scm. there I can play around with different branches use rebase and
> > all the funny git features and finally send patches to the projects mailing
> > lists..
>
> For interest, how exactly do you do this?

for stuff that's upstream in an svn repository I often use git-svn.

but in most cases my starting point is just a tar archive or the ast
release or something alike. in this cases I often start doing modifications
in the plain extracted sources and recognise at a later point that I should
have used an scm to track my changes. Then I'm using a simple shell script
I wrote:

	http://svn.clifford.at/tools/trunk/git-kickin.sh

This script is executed in the extraced sources and is passed the original
tar archive as argument. it then creates a .git directory with the content
of the tar archive as initial commit. its a trivial task but it has turned
out to be pretty helpfull to have a script do this job..

yours,
 - clifford

--
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.