[Kdenlive-devel] Something wrong with the unicode descriptions - and do we really want to have this info in Kdenlive?

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Sun Jun 28 20:07:29 UTC 2009

Søndag 28 juni 2009 skrev Simon Eugster:
> Oh, what a …
>
> I totally agree with youm Mads. As far as I understand it is true that
> we'd only have to (for example) put a link to unicode.org if we used
> the NamesList.txt file here?
> <http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/NamesList.txt> I'm not a native
> English speaker, so if anyone really understands the terms of use
> <http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html> please let me know what is
> correct.

I think we are covered by "Any person is hereby authorized, without fee, to
view, use, reproduce, and distribute all documents and files solely for
informational purposes in the creation of products supporting the Unicode
Standard, subject to the Terms and Conditions herein."

> I tried to describe the most important interpunctation characters like
> 2013 to give some hints about correct typography. The reason why I
> described the music notes is mainly the screen shot, and it completely
> FAILed.

Sh*t happens :-)

> If we can use NamesList.txt I'll remove some unnecessary translations.
> It's also in my interest to keep the amount of text to translate as
> small as possible.

I think the right file to use is actually UnicodeData.txt - I think that is
the one for machine parsing.

con: It contains no additional information
pro: It contains information about almost all glyphs (if not all).

We could keep your system to add additional information about the ones that
are correct though.

Also, if you really would like to make it fancy, you could then make a search
facility against all the glyphs, like for the project tree; type minus, and
get the list of the 26 different minus glyphs.

Regards

Mads