[Kdenlive-devel] Something wrong with the unicode descriptions - and do we really want to have this info in Kdenlive?

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Sun Jun 28 14:10:32 UTC 2009

Hi there

The new unicode entry stuff is nice, but...

There is something wrong with some of the descriptions. Compare this:

http://kdenlive.org/unicode-dialog-music-note-r3606
with
http://decodeunicode.org/u+266c
and
http://decodeunicode.org/u+1D162

The description fits 1d162, not 266c.

I don't know if there are other problems - I can easily fix them, but I wanted
to ask if we should have these descriptions in Kdenlive at all? What is the
ambition? There are thousands of unicode characters - will we ever be able to
explain them all or even a meaningful percentage of them? Also, it puts a
burden - of sorts - on the translators, localizing all these descriptions, as
at least some of the glyphs are sometimes used differently in different
languages.

Wouldn't it be more feasible to extract this information from some central
source? Perhaps some of the files available at
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/

Just my 0.02€

Regards

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a
will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who
should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I
wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble
souls.
                           - Albert Einstein (The World as I See It, 1949)