[Kdenlive-devel] Introduction

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Thu Jun 4 17:14:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Oceanwatcher <video at datahverdag.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 June 2009 21:46:57 Dan Dennedy wrote:
>
> BTW - for every transition other than plain cuts you use, you should be able
> to come up with a good reason why the story you are telling actually need this
> effect instead of a plain cut :-)

good advice

>> We would not need to remove transitions to improve the UI. Our code is
>> not that rigid and tightly coupled.
>
> I was not talking about removing effects, I was hinting at prioritizing
> resources. To get the editing workflow correct and get a good dissolve function
> in there is more important than adding more effects stuff. Of course, improving
> workflow is probably not as fun as making something fancy, so if fun is the
> only motivation, I guess effects win?

Whatever action adds the transition - dissolve by default - adds a GUI
element that can be selected whether to remove it, resize it, or
whatever, and that action can open the transition panel we have today,
which permits selection of a different transition. I think we are in
agreement, and I certainly agree this _should_ take priority over
addition of new transitions including the Blender-based gvfx. However,
I am mainly the MLT developer. The addition of transitions happens in
MLT, which is on a parallel development track with kdenlive. I only
occasionally help directly with kdenlive - easier tasks that are
personal itches. I am not inclined to do major work on the editing
workflow, and I could end up doing the Blender integration into MLT
before these kdenlive changes - not likely tho :-)

>> BTW, I had asked if "Slide" is a good name for what is currently named
>> "Wipe." According to some feature pages of some other editors I found
>> online, it seems so.
>
> I tried to play a little with the effect and yes, seems slide can be used. BUT
> - I added the effect and scrolled through it just to see how it worked. And
> this might be where the logic breaks for me.
>
> I had the first videoclip on track 0. Then the next videoclip on track 1,
> overlapping a little. I rightclicked and added a "wipe". Got a box that I
> clicked on. When scrolling through, the effect is exactly backward. The first
> frame of the effect is the second videoclip and the first videoclip comes
> sliding in. When it is finishes, it cuts to the second clip (of course). So the
> whole thing should be reversed. Or, as I said, maybe my logic here does not fit
> Kdenlive.

I experienced this as well. Some transitions have a reverse option,
but not this. I had to rearrange the clips on the tracks to get what I
wanted :-/. I will address this when I do the relabeling.

--
+-DRD-+