[Kdenlive-devel] kdenlive and Gimp

Simon Eugster simon.eu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 19:34:30 UTC 2009

2009/7/7 radist <radist at list.ru>:
> On Вторник 07 июля 2009 16:23:07 Simon Eugster wrote:
>> Hello friends,
>>
>> I'd like to re-visit an idea brought up by Slavko about two weeks ago
>> (June, 24th): Processing a clip with The Gimp.
>>
>> I have no idea how to do it, but wouldn't this be a very powerful feature?
>> You could do almost everything, color corection, filters, whatever.
>>
>> Perhaps it could be added as kind of effect.
>>
>> Is that realistic?
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> See also: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/
>

> Hi. Kdenlive + Gimp = Compositing software:) like Apple's Shake and Adobe
> Effects.
>
> for what? Kdenlive it's multi-track video editor.
>
> The good idea is:
> 1) Rendering Gimp's files *. xjt, * xjtgz, * xjtbz2, *. xcf and opening them
> by right-click menu.
> 2) import every gimp's layer (*. xjt, * xjtgz, * xjtbz2, *. xcf) as kdenlive
> track , 1 solid gimp = 1 track kdenlive.
> This will allow  to sophisticat animated drawings.

Cool, Russian :) On my want-to-learn list.

ontopic: I rather thought of something like that than of importing
gimp layers (which would mean we need to re-do all layer effects
(additive, subtractive, multiply, ...) and so on):
* You add a clip in kdenlive
* You tell kdenlive that the clip needs to be processed by Gimp before
doing anything with it. Means you enter a command to be executed, as
described here: <http://gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/> For the video
preview this can be switched on or off; on for testing, off for
general use (speed).
* You do whatever you like with the clip
* You render it; now every clip that is marked for pre-processing will
be exported as .tga, processed with Gimp (or any other program), and
read by kdenlive (or wait, this is mlt now?).

This is how I'm imaging this.

Simon