[Kdenlive-devel] VDPAU patch applied to FFmpeg

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Jan 5 17:50:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:09 AM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm at poure.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> Just a quick note that VDPAU patch was applied to FFmpeg.
>
> This opens the door to full hardware decoding of MPEG-2 and
> MPEG-4/H.264/AVCHD decoding. Still a lot of development is needed in MLT
> to support VDPAU.

True, but as a first step I need to verify that I can just get back
the decoded image. I need to be able to use this without the output
parts of VDPAU. Otherwise, it's only useful as a player and not to
kdenlive. It will be interesting way down the road to consider using
some of the compositing and scaling features of VDPAU, but that's too
much work right now, and it is still a limiting factor to have
anything tied to their output API so long as it can not still use the
CPU or until you can make it interop with anything you can program in
CUDA. Even then, all the code would have to ported to CUDA, and one
must weigh the effort when it only benefits NVIDIA users.

--
+-DRD-+