[Kdenlive-devel] move to git ?

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Sat Feb 28 20:28:51 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 5:18 AM, Marco Gittler <g.marco at freenet.de> wrote:
> Hi @all
>
> since sourceforge now provides SCM also in git, i would ask if someone
> has anything against moving from svn to git.

Yeah, I do

> I think every developer knows the advantages of moving to git.

So I hear, but  my experience tells me otherwise. git has been a pain
in the ass for me even though I keep trying to give it a chance. It is
nice to know I am not alone:
http://www.netsplit.com/

> It would help to get develop some new features faster with branching,
> fast checking/checkout, local commits and much more.

which I think is bullshit when you factor in the time learning (and
relearning) to use this obtuse tool. Then, there is the whole
"distributed" thing that people don't really take advantage of,
instead centralizing repos, mailing patches, and not pulling from mine
when requested (i.e. frei0r).

> also client scripts/ebuild for the svn/git version are easy to fix,
> when using git.
> If no one is against this, would we convert your whole svn to git next
> time ?

When we are communicating with users who are testing out the HEAD of
some tree, how do they refer to a version? By having to copy and paste
some long ass id that I have to locate? blech

--
+-DRD-+