[Kdenlive-devel] Fade to/from black

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Feb 16 09:07:43 UTC 2009

I recently committed some new video effects: Fade from Black and Fade
to Black. These are to provide more convenient and obvious
alternatives to keyframing the brightness (which did not work very
well until very recently, BTW) or transitioning with a black clip.
However, I made these linked to the audio Fade In and Fade Out
adjusters in a fashion that warrants some review and discussion. Here
were my goals:

1) If there is no Fade In yet, and you use the fader control on the
timeline, it does not automatically add a Fade from Black because
people often use transitions, and I do not want to presume a Fade from
Black.
2) If you add Fade from Black after a Fade In, it automatically takes
the duration of the Fade In!
3) If both Fade In and Fade from Black are applied, they are both
adjusted when you adjust the timeline fader!
4) You can remove either, but the timeline fader does not go away
until both are gone.
5) If you add Fade from Black *before* the Fade In, then adjusting the
timeline fader does *not* autmatically add the Fade In, but you can
still manually add it.
6) You can adjust the duration of Fade In and Fade from Black
independently using the time entry in the effect edit panel. However,
it is rather arbitrary at this point which duration the timeline fader
reflects.
7) If you have both Fade In and Fade from Black applied, but with
durations and you adjust using the fader, they are made the same
duration - the duration of the fader, of course.

The above rules apply equally to Fade Out with Fade to Black, of course.

I did just notice a bug where trimming after you have added a Fade
from Black inadvertantly changes the duration of that effect - same
probably goes for Fade to Black.

Will people expect a Fade to Black on one track overlapping the Fade
from Black on another track to create a video dissolve just as it does
an audio crossfade? Because it does not.

--
+-DRD-+