[Kdenlive-devel] critique of 0.7.2.1

Slavko Glamočanin slavko at glamocanin.net
Sun Feb 15 14:35:35 UTC 2009

This seems like a great questionare for the FAQ.
To summarize, the feature requests are:
- zoom be y axis (height)
- hard grouping of clips (lock clips, not just to be able to select them as
a group you can now)
- cache + proxy support
- keyframe framework for automation of effects/events

You also seem to have a OS related problem, i can playback raw m2t @
1920x1080 25p without problems even with effects, and it seems to affect
your rendering too.

Enjoy,
Slavko

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:10 PM, aia8v <aia8v at virginia.edu> wrote:

>  im not sure if this kind of feedback is wanted or if this is the right
> place to deliver it, but here are my thoughts on the newest version of
> kdenlive.
>

> *Background*
>
> I am a linux user who has been waiting for a decent video editor,
> comparable to final cut and premier, for a long time. kdenlive is, in my
> opinion, the only editor for linux which comes close.
>
> the 0.7.2.1 release shows awesome improvement, but a few very essential
> features are missing/removed from kdenlive. because i enjoy this software so
> much i thought i would give some feedback to the developers. most of my
> editing needs are short clips put to audio/music and put on the web,
> basically the average youtube user.
>
> *
> *
>
> *Problems/suggestions*
>
>     from my experience editing the multi-track frame is where all the work
> is done, and this part of the editor is vital for the program to be useful.
> the general multi-track editing is similar in all track -editing programs,
> but there are a few essential features which i think have been left out of
> kdenlive which really hurt its usability. The most common operations should
> have functional precedence and from my experience, volume control and fading
> are the two most common operations. i find these very hard to do in
> kdenlive.
>
> volume control and fading
>     -the way kdenlive adjusts clip volume is painful. i expect most people
> want to adjust the volume of an entire clip.
>      this should be easy, like just dragging up and down on the clip with a
> modifier key maybe.
>     - adjusting brightness,(luminosity)  is basically the same function to
> video as volume is to sound and should be
>        done in a similar way. (like a modifier key and drag to move the
> brightness level for the whole clip. and if
>        more soffisticated curve is needed have a pen tool (double click to
> make points) much like final cut or premier.

Brightness can be edited by adding the brightness plugin (and you get a nice
line on the video clip itself to manipulate)