[Kdenlive-devel] New titler module

jb jb at kdenlive.org
Sat Aug 1 14:42:44 UTC 2009

On Thursday 30 July 2009 19:32:41 Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
> Tirsdag 28 juli 2009 skrev jb:
>
> Hi
>
> Just a quick ?: Will this break compatibility with current kdenlive projects
> that use titles?

We did our best to keep compatibility. There shouldn't be major incompatibilities. The difference is that with previous Kdenlive versions, when creating a title, Kdenlive created a png image from the xml data of the objects placed in the Title widget. That image was saved to disk and titles in MLT were in fact static png images.

Now, with the new module, the image is created directly by MLT, from the xml code created by the titler widget.

The code to draw an image from the xml data is the same as before, except for images included in titles. So there shouldn't be major issues I think, but I cannot say that it's bug free...

There are only 2 issues left with the new title module:

* If you create a title in a project that has a DV PAL profile for example, editing it with a different project profile is not correctly working yet.
* More annoying issue that will likely not get fixed: the new titler module needs to be run from an Xorg session. That means that you cannot render your project in a terminal session (without a working X server)...

Apart from this, we should soon be able to improve the implementation of the nice features of this module, starting with basic animation. That can already be tried with the start / end viewport tab in title widget but needs to be improved.

regards
jb