[Kdenlive-devel] New Icon?

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Thu Apr 30 18:32:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 10:21 +0200, Markus wrote:
> Jean-Michel brought up some points -- I don't think that these have
> anything
> to do with who has power over this project. While I think that
> alleged
> similarities with FinalCut (Pro) are pretty far fetched, I see the
> issue with
> icon similarity with Kino (for my mock-up as well as Cinephiliac's
> design).
> Maybe I should modify the string and submit the clapperboard icon to
> Kino,
> because (at least on my system) the Kino icon is very low-res. :-)

http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html

You may not use the Apple Logo or any other Apple-owned graphic symbol,
logo, or icon on or in connection with web sites, products, packaging,
manuals, promotional/advertising materials, or for any other purpose
except pursuant to an express written trademark license from Apple, such
as a reseller agreement.

To explain :

The clapperboard is a registered trademark from Apple in the category of
video software. If you use a clapperboard Apple may claim  at any moment
that it introduces a similarity with Apple Final Cut pro. When you
register a trademark, you usually register the name AND some graphics,
including icons.

The problem is that you will not go to court. Jean-Baptiste will. So if
you post your ID, address and you ensure that you will pay for any legal
assistance and cover the cost of trial, including final payment, then we
may reconsider your point of view.

Don't make it a personal issue. We know you have been working a couple
of hours on this project, but this is not enough to destroy JB life. If
you don't know anything about law, contact a lawyer.

Stay away from this clapperboard logo. IMHO, invest some time and
efforts into something different.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel